Overview of Spinalonga
The atmospheric tiny islet across the fishing village of Plaka, near Elounda, is a place of emotionally charged historic memory. Initially it was under Venetian and ottoman occupation and later on it became a lepers’ colony until its closure in 1957. It is also depicted in the famous novel “The Island” (gr. “To Nisi”) by Victoria Hislop.